Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Guest Author Paty Jager


I'm pleased to have Paty Jager as my guest today. Paty's new release, Spirit of the Lake, is a touching paranormal romance set in the magnificent American west. Here's Paty to tell us about her story.

Victoria, thank you for having me here today.

The other day a TV show I had on gave away baby items to pregnant women. My oldest is 31 and there weren't any of the gadgets on the show around then.  They'd just came out with the umbrella stroller and the front pack. Now they have strollers with bottle warmers that turn into car seats.

My current release, Spirit of the Lake, is the story of a Nez Perce maiden who is raped by a White man and with the help of a Nez Perce spirit, carries the child to term to prove the White man's deceit. During the eight months of the story, Dove, the heroine, lives with an elderly woman who talks in questions. This woman spends the winter months beside the fire making the tekash, or baby board for the baby.

Baby boards provided mobility for the mothers while keeping their babies close. It also gave the babies security from dangers and the closeness of being near their mothers.

The structure of the board was made from rosebush limbs, willow limbs or any easy to bend limbs that could be lashed together and covered with buckskin. The buckskin could be elaborately decorated with paint and beads or plain.

What was/is your favorite gadget for babies?

This post is part of my blog tour. Leave a comment on as many of my guest blogs as you can and the person who travels with me the most will receive an autographed copy of Spirit of the Lake, a sweatshirt, and cowboy chocolate. To find all the places I’m visiting go to my blog: www.patyjager.blogspot.com  The contest runs from May 18th – May 29th covering thirteen blogs. I'll notify the winner on May 30th. In the event of a tie I will draw a name.

Blurb for Spirit of the Lake:
Two generations after his brother became mortal, Wewukiye, the lake spirit, prevents a Nimiipuu maiden from drowning and becomes caught up in her sorrow and her heart. Her tribe ignores Dove's shameful accusations—a White man took her body, leaving her pregnant, and he plans to take their land.Wewukiye vows to care for her until she gives birth, to help her prove the White man is deceitful and restore her place in her tribe.

As they travel on their quest for justice, Dove reveals spiritual abilities yet unknown in her people, ensnaring Wewukiye’s respect and awe. But can love between a mortal and a spirit grow without consequences?

Excerpt:
His voice floated to the sky as he chanted and swirled circles on her belly with his large hand. The gentle motion and warmth along with the deep tone of his voice soothed her stomach and her fears. One by one she placed the berries in her mouth and swallowed. With each piece of nourishment a new surge of energy filled her body.
His hand remained light, yet heat penetrated her deer skin dress warming her body. The last berry disappeared between her lips, and she swallowed its sweet goodness. She watched him. His long light lashes hovered on his dark high cheeks, hiding his eyes from her. His deep voice continued chanting. The long hard muscles of his arms bulged, contrasting with the gentleness of his touch.
“I have finished the berries,” she whispered, fearful of disrupting his chant.
His eyes slowly opened, and he smiled down at her. “You must remain this way for a short time.” His hand rested on her belly as he shifted to sit cross-legged beside her.
The intimacy of his touch scorched her cheeks.##

To read more about the spirit trilogy or my other books visit my website: www.patyjager.net




21 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me here today, Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my favorite gagit for babies would have been a Johney Jump Up my son had. It would hang from a wide door way and he would jump for hours in it. This kept my son busy while I was cooking dinner in the evenings. I haven't seen one of these in years. The baby swings are good also. Your book sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Virginia, I had the Johnny Jump Up for all three of my kids. It was the best. You could move them from doorway to doorway and let them bounce to their heart's content while you took care of chores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big fan of all the mobiles they have these days. Always amazed at the strollers that are available today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Paty! Your topic caught my eye. My kids (many years ago) also loved the swings. However, my "favorite" gadget--or at least one that really intrigued me was a warmer for baby wipes, 'cause those things can be really cold! If your baby is already cranky, why make it worse? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean, I agree. The stroller today are Cadillacs.

    Hey Genene. I didn't know they made those things! Really? Baby wipe warmers? I always hold them in my hands a few minutes before applying to baby bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Since my husband and I don't have any children, I don't have a favorite gadget. When shopping for things for my neices for their baby showers, it was hard deciding on items to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky, I know. there are so many interesting things they make. Like Genene's wipe warmer. Who'd of thought?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paty,

    What an interesting post. I am learning so much about the Nez Perce. Thank you for giving us all a look into the past

    Walk in harmony,

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're welcome, Melinda. And thank you for following my tour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting post. I'm wondering if some of the Nez Perce still use the boards.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joan, I don't know if the Nez Perce still use the cradleboards or not. There is an online reference that shows you how to make them. But they use a solid back rather than the bent branch frame.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paty,

    Thank you so much for posting here today. I always learn something fascinating from your posts!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Victoria, Thank you for putting up with me. Have a wonderful long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The more I read about SPIRIT OF THE LAKE the more I want to know. So wonderful. This Trilogy is SO on my list.

    marypres@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The woman talking in questions must have taken some concentration to write, Paty! Fantastic idea. So looking forward to reading this book.

    R x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, my favorite was the Johnny Jump Up - my middle son was jumping from the time he was born, couldn't hold him. At a month we put him in one of those (he could hold his head up really well) and he loved it. He would jump until he fell asleep and if I tried to get him out, he'd scream. He looked like a little spider jumping around. I even had to feed him in the dang thing.

    Congratulations on the release. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marybelle, I'm glad reading my posts is tempting you to read the trilogy.

    Rachel, She was a hoot to write. Lot's of fun. She had some other quirks too. ;)

    Hi P.L.! Those Johnny Jump ups were the best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My oldest is 37 and the umbrella stroller was indeed new. There were no front packs readily available, so I made my own. Back pack carriers and car seats were new. I think the umbrella stroller was the handiest item was the handiest item back then. There is really too much out there for babies today. They do better if they aren't over stimulated.

    A cradle board would have been handy for out son. He was so active it would have been nice to know where he was and not worry about his disappearing.

    librarypat AT comcast DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pat, I loved the umbrella stroller. So handy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the modern 'tricked out' backpacks for older babies. You can get them with sun shades, / rain roofs, holders for just about everything, etc. We love the outdoors, and backpacks make hiking and other activities accessible to new parents.

    ReplyDelete